Friday, July 13, 2012

Crazy Week for Cora Leigh

I am writing this blog with a million mixed emotions right now. It has been quite a week for my baby girl! We started the week with Papaw's birthday which Cora was SUPER excited about. We made Papaw a birthday card - pink - Cora said that was his favorite. :) We were going to Moe's to eat with him, also one of Cora's favorites. As we were getting ready to leave, I took Hazel (the dog) out to use the bathroom before we left. Cora was watching out the sidelights next to the front door. I came in, quickly shut and locked the door, then I noticed that Cora's finger was shut in the door! She had stuck it in on the back side where the hinges are, and it took her a minute to realize that she was in pain. We have a childproof lock on our lever-style front door knob for obvious reasons, and in my panic the thing suddenly seemed like rocket science to open! I finally opened the door and freed her finger, and poor Cora Leigh was just in a million pieces. I felt terrible. I got her a bandaid, which work magic on her, and she was still crying but told me we needed to get in the car and go to Moe's. :) By the time everyone got in the car, she seemed to be pretty well over it. She still told me that it really hurt, but she was no longer crying. Watching your child get hurt is not fun. Unintentionally hurting your child is awful.

The middle of the week was actually really good. We got the carpet laid in our basement (the last step of finishing it!!!), but that is another blog post. Cora is so funny, and there have been a few particularly funny things she has said this week. She always tells me when she is going to poop. After doing so earlier this week, she came to tell me that she had poop in her diaper. After confirming, she randomly said, "I don't want to try and eat it!" Okay....good to know! Not sure where she got that notion, but glad she thought that was a bad idea. Then one afternoon, she was telling her daddy a long, crazy story. He asked her what she was talking about. She responded by asking me, "Mommy, what am I talking about?!?" As it turns out, I don't think any one of us had a clue. Wednesday night, we had taken dinner to one of Jeremy's co-workers who had a baby about a month ago. Cora was getting cranky and whiny on the way home. When Micah started fussing, she was full-out crying. He would stop fussing and would just look at her, as if to say, "What's your problem?" After explaining to Cora (for the umpteenth time) that she was not a baby like Micah, so there was no reason for her to be crying, she told us, "Somebody needs to smack me!" We just cracked up. While we might have agreed, we of course did not oblige this request. And to clarify, we are not in the habit of smacking our children. Cora has been smacking her mommy lately, and we have had lots of talks about it. SO, that is why she knows that terminology.

Then Thursday, we had a really good day. After taking Cora's diaper off that morning, I let her run around without anything on her bottom. She seemed to be doing well with it, so I thought perhaps today is the day we start potty training - FINALLY! After she peed the second time in the potty, she decided she wanted to wear panties. She LOVED being a big girl. She even wore her panties when we went out with my friend, Brooke, for lunch. We had a couple of little accidents at home, but she did great when we went out! She went in the potty for me at the restaurant and got a piece of cake for a reward. (Okay, so maybe that reward was partly for me too...) She hasn't pooped in the potty yet, but she only poops every few days, so I guess she hasn't been "due" for a poop yet. I suspect that will be interesting.

Late Thursday night, around bedtime, I was tending to Micah and Jeremy was emptying the dishwasher. Cora was in the living room playing with a plastic pitcher that she has played with many time before. Somehow, she managed to fall just right on the pitcher, she knocked out her top, front, right tooth. As you can imagine, it was a hectic, stressful, terrible scene for a while. We weren't sure what we needed to do. Eventually, the pediatric nurse on call got back with us and gave us instruction. By then, the bleeding had mostly stopped, but Cora was still pretty upset. Bless her heart. I am glad she is young enough to not really think much about the cosmetic implication of knocking out a tooth that won't grow back in for several more years. Jeremy and I are well aware of it, and we definitely spent some time feeling guilty and grieving the loss of her precious little smile. Both of us immediately thought of friends of ours in Kentucky who have a one year old who has leukemia. When we thought of our struggles, in light of the nightmare they are living, we realized how silly it was to be so upset over a little tooth. Cora Leigh is the same healthy, beautiful bundle of joy that she was yesterday, just with one less tooth.

Last night as we were putting Cora to bed, we weren't sure what to do about her pacifier. We had planned on taking it away around her 3rd birthday anyway, so we decided that it would probably be best just to go ahead and keep it from her. That didn't go over so well, but she got over it and she went to sleep without much trouble.

Both kids slept through the night last night!! I think we probably all needed it. I was glad Cora rested well. She acted pretty normal when she got up this morning. Her mouth was swollen and under her bottom lip apparently took a bit of a blow. She had yogurt for breakfast and as a special treat, I mixed up some chocolate milk - the first she has had as far as I know. She shocked me by telling me that she didn't like chocolate milk, she wanted white milk. Wasn't expecting that one, but I certainly wasn't going to argue.

I spent the morning on the phone searching for a pediatric dentist. Apparently pediatric dentists don't feel the need to work on Fridays. The only one that was supposed to be open today still was not answering the phone by 8:40, so we went with a family dentist instead. We were able to get Cora in to see Dr. Mark Dill who happened to be a childhood friend of Jeremy's. She did really well with Amy who checked her mouth out when we first arrived and did her x-ray. She refused to look at, much less smile for Dr. Mark. He eventually was able to see enough of a smile coupled with the x-ray to conclude that everything looked fine. Basically, we'll just be waiting for the permanent to come in, so for a few years she will have a gap in her smile.

On a more positive note, potty training is going well today. No accidents yet and she even wore panties to the dentist!

Sure hate my little girl ended up growing up so much in one week - first smashed finger, potty training, losing her pacifier, and losing her first tooth. I an thankful she is a vibrant little girl and handling all the change very well so far! Now if only Mommy and Daddy can... :)

Here is a rough pic of Cora's new smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment